ON THIS PAGE
How to use Victor Professional rat traps
- Make sure you always wear gloves when handling your trap or catches.
- Set up 2–3 Victor Professional rat traps in your backyard and make sure they are placed inside rat tunnels. Place them on a flat surface near walls/compost or under cover.
- Bait traps with some peanut butter and refresh often.
- Check your traps every couple of days until you’re getting results and the catch rate goes down, then check every 2–3 weeks. The more rats in the area, the more checks you will need to do.
- If you’re not trapping in your backyard, see our advice on trapping rats in the bush.
We recommend watching this video from our friend Darren from Zealandia. He gives a step-by-step guide to setting a Victor Professional trap and instructions on using the tunnels. The only difference between a regular tunnel and the weka-proof one is that the latter is slightly longer.
- Always wear gloves when handling your trap or catches.
- Before opening the tunnel give the trap a shake to disable the trap inside (if there is one inside).
- Bait your trap before you set it.
- Only hold the trap from the back (the part with the big red V).
- Use your thumbs to pull back the kill-bar to avoid accidents.
- If your trap is on unstable ground, set your trap to ‘firm’ rather than ‘sensitive’.
- When putting your trap into the tunnel, place it in bait-end first.
- Slide in the trap until it’s just inside the tunnel.
- To remove rats from the trap, hold the trap over a bag or bin and pull up the kill bar so the rat drops out.
Make sure you place the trap at the back of the tunnel (opposite the small entrance hole), away from small fingers.
Download our quick trapping guide (PDF, 255KB) for catching rats in the backyard or bush.
- If you’re not getting results, try a different spot.
- Refresh the bait regularly.
Where to buy the Victor Professional rat trap
You can purchase a rat trap and tunnel from our online shop. If you live in an area where there are weka present you’ll need to purchase a slightly longer weka-proof tunnel, also available from our shop.
You can also make your own tunnel to house a rat trap using our instructions.