Target predators — ferrets, rats, stoats and hedgehogs
The difference between the DOC 200 and the DOC 250 is that the DOC 250 has a much stronger spring. Given it is similar to a DOC 200, we recommend watching the video for the DOC 200 and reading the DOC 250 set up guide.
Top safety tips
- DOC 250s have a very powerful trap mechanism. Make sure you have thoroughly viewed and followed the online instructional videos and guides.
- Make sure you always wear gloves when handling your trap or catches.
- Make sure the lid is screwed down at all times so that children and pets can’t access the trap.
- When you change the bait make sure you use a safety clip or ‘unset’ the trap.
What should I use as bait?
- For ferrets and stoats serve up some fresh rabbit, hare, possum, Erayz, salted rabbit, freeze-dried rabbit and/or fresh hen eggs.
- For hedgehogs use an egg.
- For rats use peanut butter (you can place it in a milk bottle top).
You can use multiple lures at the same time to attract different predators. Lures should be changed regularly to keep them fresh (exactly when and how often will depend on where the traps are) and disposed of away from the trap.
If mice are stealing your bait then you can place it inside a mesh tea strainer to protect it. Or you can place a mouse trap at the back of the trap and catch them too!
Where should I put my traps?
Set the DOC 250 traps along the natural lie of the land; ridges, waterways, tracks and road edges are all great places. Set them on lines about 1km apart (or 100m for rats) with a trap every 100m (1km x 100m for stoats, 100m x 100m for rats). Put a number on each trap and keep track of how many you’ve set, markers on trees can help you locate traps in the bush.
How often should I check my traps?
- Traps should be left out permanently.
- Checks will depend on the season (ferrets are easier to trap in late summer and autumn) and how long your bait/lure takes to rot.
Download our quick trapping guide
We summarised all of this information into a one pager called ‘How to trap and kill ferrets‘ that you can print out.
Buy one now and get trapping!
Buy one from our online store here and get it delivered to your door.