The Trust works with the Holiday Parks Association to enable its 300 member parks to help restore NZ’s native wildlife in and around their grounds.
ON THIS PAGE
About the programme
The parks support predator control efforts in their communities and help locals and guests to understand the government’s goal of being predator free by 2050 and encourage them to support this.
NZ’s natural landscape and scenery is a major factor in influencing visitors choice of destination and holiday parks are a great way to connect them with the vision of restoring our native wildlife.
What kind of support do holiday parks receive?
Parks who join our Predator Free Holiday Parks programme are given access to:
- predator control advice
- marketing material (note: there may be associated costs such as printing, packaging etc).
If you would like to know more about this programme or want to be involved, contact us.
Marketing material and resources
- Download and print our flyer (PDF, 76 KB) for your compendium that explains why your holiday park is involved in the predator free movement.
- Contact us for a free copy of an HPA and PFNZ A2 poster for your common room (note: shipping costs may apply).
What to plant to support birds and other wildlife
Plan your holiday park garden so it can provide food and shelter for native wildlife year round. We have some helpful tips about attracting birds to your garden.
Trapping and toxin advice
- Trap, bait and equipment tips — find out how to humanely and safely trap introduced predators, including what tools to use and where you should put your traps.
- How to choose the right trap— instructions on how to set up and use your trap.
- Expert tips — how to use the DOC 200 series of traps.
- Bait stations — introduction to toxins, a summary of toxins used in NZ and some safety tips.
Recording and monitoring
To understand the effectiveness of your predator control it’s important to record and monitor the presence of both introduced predators and native species before and after your efforts. Find out more here.
Fun activities for kids
Many holiday parks host activities for children over the holidays, here are some ideas:
- Create a lizard garden (PDF, 2MB).
- Build a wētā house with help from DOC.