The following best practice guidelines for controlling and monitoring vertebrate pests have been developed by the National Possum Control Agency (NPCA).
Private Land Owners’ Guide to Possum Control: Control Tools and Techniques (Nov 2015). Information for landowners on methods used to control possums, including information on traps, bait stations, toxins and suppliers.
- Possum Population Monitoring Using the Trap-Catch, Waxtag and Chewcard Methods (Nov 2015). Describes the best practice for undertaking possum population monitoring. It sets out the steps to be followed and standards to be achieved.
- Leghold Traps — A Guideline for Capturing Possums, Ferrets and Feral Cats Using Leghold Traps (Nov 2015). Best practice guidance on how to use leghold traps to maximize pest control effectiveness whilst ensuring trapping is compliant with legislation and regulation.
- Kill Traps: A Guideline To Trap Possums, Ferrets, Stoats and Feral Cats Using Kill Traps (Nov 2015). Best practice guidance on how to use kill traps to maximize pest control effectiveness whilst ensuring trapping is compliant with legislation and regulation.
- Possum and Ferret Traps: A Report to Inform and Advise Users of Trapping Products (Nov 2015). A detailed assessment of the different types of leg-hold, kill and live-capture possum and ferret traps to assist users in making appropriate and informed choices.
- Pest Mustelids: Monitoring and Control (Nov 2015). Best practice guidelines for the control and monitoring of mustelids. Content applicable to ferrets, stoats and weasels. Intended for use by field staff, contractors and landowners.
- Auditing of Possum Monitoring Operations. Guidelines and standards for auditing pest animal monitoring operations.
- Responsible Use of Bait Stations: An Operators Guide (Nov 2015). Guidance on the use of toxic bait stations for vertebrate pest control, including legal obligations, risk management, field techniques, recording and reporting.
- Aerial 1080 Control of Possums & Rabbits: Standard Operating Procedures for Regional Government (Nov 2015). Guidance on the operational steps involved in planning and managing aerial 1080 operations for local government interests. This SOP is designed to be read and used together with the (B9) Aerial 1080 Pest Control Industry Guidelines and should not be used on its own.